Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: What's the difference?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member slackerjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 21st, 2001
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    I'm giving up making movies on video. I am transferring over to... well... that's my problem. I need to know the difference between Super 8 and 8mm. I was going to buy a super 8 camera but was then told I couldn't use my 8mm editor to edit super 8 film. What gives?

    Thanks for any reply or help you may provide!

  2. #2
    Inactive Member AlexGfromUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 4th, 2001
    Posts
    145
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    super is different because the size of the perforations at the edge of the film is a lot smaller than on standard 8mm (often just called "8mm") this means the image size is the biggest you could possibly fit on 8mm wide filmstock. Unfortuanately though, it does mean that 8mm (older and inferior) equipment is not compatible with super 8, and vice versa, because the sprockets used to transport the film only work with either super 8 perfs or standard 8. This is unless the piece of gear concerned specifically says it is dual format.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member slackerjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 21st, 2001
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile

    Thank you for that information. I am now a wiser man.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •